Monday, January 19, 2015

BLOOD & SNOW



THE SNOWMAN
Prequel to the Detective Quaid Mysteries
Book #4

Detective Steven Quaid's first case as a rookie.


It takes a true artist to pursue his victims in the art of seduction, and Stowy Jenkins is no exception, especially with blood as his medium.

Excerpt:


Dark crimson fluid flowed into the bucket under the table. Death accepted Stone’s masterpiece with open arms.


The staccato clicks of Stone's trusty Nikon punctuated Maggy’s last moments.

*****
Little by little, he added the formaldehyde to the viscous mixture, stirring it vigorously. Dipping his brush into its freshness, he began painting. Swirls, splattered droplets, and elongated dribbles soon filled the canvas. Waves of joy rose up from his deepest being, and a sense of satisfaction overwhelmed him. This creation will be my best. The addition of formaldehyde will keep the red as vibrant as the fountain of blood gushing from my Maggie May.

A maniacal laugh broke the silence. “Rouge d’Amour will be the star of my masterpiece! It will leave art lovers and critics breathless.”

*****


The Snowman 
is a prequel to















Light is a fleeting moment in the frozen north that is Alaska. Although the sun shines brightly during the Summer Solstice, Detective Steven Quaid struggles to hold on to what he holds dear during life's darkest moments, his love for family, and professional achievement. Will a murderous stalker, a self-proclaimed Lucifer resurrected, or insidious obsession prove more powerful than this dedicated detective? Four separate life-threatening situations. One determined man.



Subscribe to DEFENDING THE PEN by Email

20 comments:

Chrys Fey said...

I love stories set in blizzards! You excerpt was excellent. This story sounds gritty.

Pat Hatt said...

Those knivse may be getting a workout soon

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Well, now, that was just dirty! After reading that excerpt, I immediately popped over to Amazon to buy the prequel, and it wasn't there! Dirty, dirty, dirty! (But I still like ya...)

Nick Wilford said...

Chilling! Looks like a good read for the winter.

Yolanda Renée said...

LOL, that's right you do love when weather influences the situation! Love that!

Yolanda Renée said...

Very soon! I just want to know what my neighbors thought while I sprayed red coloring on the snow to take a picture of my favorite knife for the cover. LOL

Christine Rains said...

It sounds fantastic. Very nice cover!

Yolanda Renée said...

Hey Susan, sorry, didn't mean to do that, I was just so thrilled to have created the cover for the story. A little snow, red coloring, and my favorite knife and there you have it! I just hope the publisher likes it....

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Nick, I hope it's a hit!

Yolanda Renée said...

Thanks Christine, your new book looks fantastic, I can't wait to read it, and I did love Susan's review! She's too funny!

Denise Covey said...

Wonderful Yolanda! I was gripped the whole way through!

Yolanda Renée said...

Your line by line edit worked wonders! Thank you!

dolorah said...

Nice. I like starting a thriller with the perp's POV. All t hat winter makes me cold.

Yolanda Renée said...

Just perfect for the east though! He's a mean one, this perp!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Oh my, that's a chilling excerpt. A serial killer that considers himself an artist.

Cover looks good. Immediately lets you know the genre.

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Arlee Bird said...

This story sounds chilling in more than one way. The excerpt certainly draws me in.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I agree with the others, chilling. It's like peeking at a terrible thing, not watching to watch, but not being able to stop yourself. You've really entered his mind, Yolanda. I believed every word he said. Chilling, indeed.

Julie Flanders said...

Ooh what a great excerpt! And what a great setting. Well done!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I'm just messing with ya. The publisher will LOVE it.

Maurice Mitchell said...

That's a terrifying portrayal of a serial killer. Well done!